Jun 16, 2011

Operation Blackberry

Next to our little homestead is an empty lot.  Well, empty as there isn't a house.  It is actually overgrown with all sorts of vegetation.  Usually, we just ignore it, and hey, at least wild green growth is better than neighbors, right?



But, if you look closely, you can see that there are some pretty awesome blackberries growing in there.   Who wouldn’t love to have blackberries available at any time?  The problem is, that before I can even try to fight with the birds for the delish fruit, many of the blackberry bushes are choked out by honeysuckle vines.



[Sidebar, many people think they are weeds, and I understand they can quickly take over an area.  I am not that person.  I love honeysuckles.  One of my favorite things about our little house is the scent of honeysuckles floating through the windows on a late spring night.]

So began Operation Blackberry, initiated by my dear friend Nikki.  Only she could believe that gardening is appropriate after drinking wine for 8 hours on the wine trails.  After arming ourselves with shovels, we were prepared to attempt a rescue mission for a couple of blackberry bushes to plant in my yard.

Things got ugly.




I was not as strong of a gardening rockstar as Nikki, and quickly gave up once I got the wine spins.  However, we (okay, she) successfully managed to free three plants from the wilderness.

We then planted them, albeit some what hastily, in a safe location along my back fence where they would get plenty of sunshine.

And then they died.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment